Famous French scientists
This heading presents you some of France most famous scientists ! 1995 was Pasteur year and 1996 was Descartes
one. New scientists will be added periodically. Enjoy their astonishing lives !
Becquerel, Physics Nobel prize laureate in 1903
- In 1896 Becquerel discovered by pure chance that radiation ionises the air. It is not
caused by the Sun and its intensity does not decrease with the passage of time. This is
the beginning of the nuclear age.
Charpak, Physics Nobel prize laureate in 1992
- Saint-Vincent-de-Paul hospital in Paris uses a revolutionary radiology equipment
which is the result of research conducted by the French Nobel prize laureate Georges
- Marie Curie,
Physics Nobel prize laureate in 1903, Chemistry Nobel prize laureate in 1911
- Through her discovery of radium, Marie Curie paved the way for nuclear physics
and cancer therapy. Born of Polish parents, she was a woman of science and courage,
compassionate yet stubbornly determined.
- Philosopher, mathematician and physician of the XVIIth century. Author of the Discours
de la méthode, he said "I think, therefore I am".
Pasteur, the father of modern medicine
- From his works on the rabies virus to the creation of the world kown Pasteur
institute. All you have to know about Pasteur if you didn't heard about him during the
Pasteur year !